Saturday, May 22, 2010

Preparing to see a whole different world

Two years ago, a good friend of mine came up to me and asked me to consider going on a mission trip with her to Tanzania, Africa. I thought the whole idea sounded really neat, so from that night on, the people of Tanzania never left my mind. God really burdened my heart for the country and the people. I knew He was calling me there, and I couldn't ignore it. I told my parents that I really felt like I should go, and I was so excited about it. Their initial reaction was, "wow that's a ton of money", and "we'll pray about it." Of course that was not the reaction I was looking for, but at least I got a "we'll pray about it" and not a "no". I left the situation in God's hands, and prayed that if this was God's will, that He would lead my parents to agree with it, and that He would provide the money. Well sure enough, after much prayer and thinking, my dad started feeling called to Tanzania as well. So we signed up to go, and I trusted God with the financial aspect of it. I was in a constant state of prayer that He would provide everything we needed for this trip, and that He would use us in a way I never even dreamed of.

The band I play in ("Consumed") has played a big part in this journey also. They have taught me SOOOO much about who God is and what worship really is. As I was preparing for this trip, the band as a whole began to feel pulled to help raise money for these precious orphans. Slowly, my whole life started to change and revolve around James 1:27, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

Quicker than I ever imagined, the word got out about my trip and within months I had every penny needed for the trip, plus 2,000 dollars extra!!! The 2,000 went into funds for the kids that will be used once we get over there. Everywhere I go, people ask me about my trip and everyday I see more of what God's will for me is. God has a plan for me that I believe is bigger than I can ever imagine. Everyday, God shows me something new and with every second I see more and more of who God's heart beats for. This journey is truly incredible, and I know God is going to do even greater things in the days to come. I really desire to take Christ to the ends of the earth. Sure it will be hard, and sure it will require sacrifice, but whatever the cost, I am willing. Christ paid the ultimate price for me, and I could never do enough to repay Him or thank Him.

On Friday, May 28th (which is in like 5 days!) I will head to Nashville to begin my many series of plane flights to Tanzania, Africa. I will make a stop in Tennessee, North Carolina, New York, Saudi Arabia then finally down to the capital of Tanzania. I've never been on a plane before, and never been out of country... this should be a wild ride!! I'm going into this trip and this next couple of weeks completely open minded and ready for God to do something huge! He has called me to go, and more and more everyday I feel His hand carrying me. I know He will keep us safe, and out of harm's way. I am more than ready to go, and I can't wait for my feet to hit African soil, and for little kids to come running to me with hugs. They will be dirty hugs, but there will be no sweeter touch than the touch of God's children who long for love.

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited to follow you on this journey!
    I am praying for you and your team :)I know God will use you and bless you in Great and Mighty ways! Love ya Leigh Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness. I really wish I had heard of this trip sooner, I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to be going on it with you! But, alas, God had other plans for me during this time (Girls Lock-In). I cannot wait to see your updates!!!! I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED for you to witness all that God will be doing through you and the team of people going with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to follow you while you are gone. We love you and will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete